Wednesday, April 25, 2007

breaking up isn't a two player game

My most recent, old boss made a very interesting point about why breakups are so difficult to handle.

"Up until this time, you and your partner have done everything together. The good and the bad. You worked it all out together, but you can't go through the breakup together."

And that is where I am now. I'm in a breakup alone, and I'm really trying to figure out how being alone works. I've been in a serious relationship for the past seven years. What do I know about being single? Nothing. But I guess it's my time to learn.

Lesson one: how not to cry every other minute. I'm hoping that the whole going the breakup alone plan will help with this.

---

hey william,

i got your message yesterday. i'm sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. i meant to respond sooner.

thanks for the phone call. i'm glad i'm on your mind. you're on mine.

while i would love to talk to you and hear all about your week and tell you all about mine, i still don't know that it's a good idea right now. our conversation last week was difficult for me. i don't know that i can just be your friend right now, and i don't think it's healthy for me to talk to you like i'm ok, because i'm not ok. i also don't think it's healthy for me to continually tell you that i'm not ok, so with that in mind, i think we both just need some time. i'm not sure what that means right now, but i'm not ready to talk to you this week.

i got an envelope with mail in it yesterday, and your note really made me smile. thank you. i hung it up on the bulletin board at my desk and the little man smiles back at me every day.

katie is doing well. she's going to the vet on saturday for her annual exam and shots. do you remember how bob was with squirrels? well, katie has found the hunter in her, but she hunts rats instead. she can spot them from a block away. she lunges at them and tries to kill them. it's kind of funny.

i'm scheduled to move into my apartment not this weekend but next weekend. i hope it all works out.

thank you again for the phone call. i appreciate you checking in, and your message made me smile. i hope all is well at the nature center, and i hope you are having a wonderful week.

love, ew

No comments: