Monday, April 23, 2007

about emma

Emma Wilkerson is a 24-year-old girl who loves sunshine, dogs, and loud music. Currently living the dream that is NYC, she wishes were somewhere lost in the woods, on a boat, or lying on a beach anywhere in the Florida Keys. While fame and stardom have always been her dream, the desire to lose herself out in the country has pushed its way to the center of her thoughts, and she is now not only swimming in the sea of quarterlife crisis, but unsure of how to find her way back to land. Praying for the best, Emma hopes that she will find her happiness soon.

---

Don't you just love writing about yourself in the third person? Formulating the perfect sentences to describe yourself to complete strangers. You want to seem likeable, relatable, interesting--but you worry that you are none of those things. Yeah, I hate writing about myself too.

For me, writing about myself is difficult because I don't really know myself. Sounds bizarre I know. I am me. How can I not know me? I always thought that I had a good sense of self, until I found myself single for the first time in seven years and in a whirlwind of life changing events that left me standing with no one but my dog by my side. And even that wasn't always comforting, because let me tell you, NYC does not like dogs.

As a recent college graduate, facing the world alone is tough. I don't have a single friend who is adjusting well, myself included. And while we have each other, we really are in it alone, forced to make life-changing decisions as adults.

I've never lived for me and figuring out how to is proving to be a harder task than I would have thought. With no boyfriend to look after and my college days behind me, I look in the mirror every morning wondering who I am and what I want. I don't know the answers to those questions just yet, but hopefully, I will figure them out soon.